Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Noisy, Noisy World

This is what the Sovereign Lord,
    the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me
    and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength. 
Isaiah 30:15

Life has felt so "noisy" lately.  So, yesterday was a day to seek out some quiet.







Noise seems to be a constant companion.  Music, television, people's chatter, and even my home appliances are always providing a constant hum of background noise.  I always laugh that the moment Alyssa or Kyle get into my car, they have to turn on some tunes.  Quiet some how feels uncomfortable, out of the ordinary, and awkward.  

But quiet can bring rest and peace.  And somehow it gives strength. Quiet allows our mind to actually meditate, reflect, and respond to God.  Silence opens the door to hearing the Holy Spirit.  The more noisy life is, the more intentional we need to be at pulling away. 

It reminds me of a song I love...

"Teach me to stop and listen,
Teach me to center down.
Teach me to hear in silence,
Things that are never found.

Teach me to be collected,
Teach me to be in tune.
Teach me to be directed,
Silence will end so soon.

Then when it's time for moving,
Grant it that I may bring,
To every day and moment,
Peace from a silent spring." 




Not sure my kids will ever "get it", in between their phones, computers, and "tunes", but there in the quiet, they might just find a sweet, sweet sound!



Lord, teach Alyssa and Kyle to stop and listen, teach them to center down, and teach them to hear in silence.  Thank you that you and your strength are found in the quietness.


 

No comments: