Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thankful Thursday: Christ and Christmas

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; 
he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: 
You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host 
appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 
“Glory to God in the highest heaven, 
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.””  Luke 2:11-14


The Christmas presents are all bought and wrapped, and most of the holiday hoopla has been accomplished.  Today, I long to sit and rest in the true holiday spirit of celebrating Christ's birth.  I'm thankful for the Messiah that was born so long ago, yet today changes my life moment by moment as I live with (and for) Him. 

I pray that my children grasp, in a new way this Christmas, the power and reality of Jesus their Savior.

A few things I'm thankful for today, besides the reason for this season:
  • Both kids ended their school semester last week with straight A's! 
  • Times of laughter with each of my kids.
  • The giving spirit I have seen in both Alyssa and Kyle, as they've done their Christmas shopping.
  • God's quick answer to prayer yesterday, when I was having a frustrating parenting moment.
  • And the words "I'm sorry."
  • Warranted windows being replaced soon.
  • Special times with special friends.
  • God's healing hand on colds.
  • Generous gifts given.
  • Hugs from my kids.
  • Foot rubs.
Thank you, oh Lord, for the gifts you have given us this week.  I see you living and active in our lives and I give you praise.  Thank you for my children and the precious times we have together.  Thank you for the blessing they are in my life.  Lord, I know that you sent your Son for them too, and I pray that they come to see you in a new way this Christmas season.  May they find the true meaning of Christmas, and fall in love with you in a deeper and deeper way. Show yourself, dear Jesus, in each gift, through each retelling of your birth, and even as they listen to the music of this season.  Lord, you are the true One we are celebrating.  Thank you, for the gift of your Son!

No comments: