Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thump that Tongue

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."  Ephesians 4:29

I need to pull out the movie Bambi today...maybe my kids could learn a lesson or two from sweet little Thumper.


Thumper:  He doesn't walk very good, does he?
Mrs. Rabbit:  Thumper!
Thumper:  Yes, mama?
Mrs. Rabbit:  What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper:  [clears throat] If you can't say something nice...don't say nothing at all.

Need I say more?

We especially need help in this area as summer vacation is just around the corner, and our kids will have more time to spend together.  The transition doesn't always go smoothly, but I know that "with God all things are possible"  (Mt. 19:26)

Lord, our words often reflect what is truly in our hearts.  Sometimes it's so hard to hold our tongues, and we spout off things that can be hurtful, damaging, and can't be taken back.  Even, I, Lord fail at this sometimes.  Please forgive me.  Make my heart new and clean, and may my words reflect your presence in my life.  I pray, dear Jesus, for the same thing in our children's lives.  Remind them that their words hold great power to build up or to tear down....even in their relationship with one another.  Help the slams, the names, and the negative comments cause a sourness in their mouths.  Move their hearts to choose words that lift up, encourage, speak thanksgiving and kindness, and reflect you.  Let no unwholesome talk come out of Alyssa and Kyle's mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  Even as we move into summer vacation, may this be true in our home. 

No comments: