Saturday, June 12, 2010

Know Him!

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."  John 17:3

 Alyssa & Kyle, and our dog Zoe... 2005

Here's your little Greek lesson for today! 

To know = "Ginosko"
  1. to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
    1. to become known
  2. to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
    1. to understand
    2. to know
  3. Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
  4. to become acquainted with, to know
I have written in the margins of my Bible another definition:  an intimate knowledge and fellowship.

I want my kids to know God in an intimate way.  The intimacy that comes when we spend time together, and get to know each other inside and out, up and down, and through thick and thin.

My kids (and husband) know things about me that most others do not, and it's because we live in the same house.  It's hard to hide what I look like in the morning, or how I act when I'm angry, or what foods I like or dislike, when we spend so much time together.  They know the real Tresa.  

I want my kids to know God like that...living so closely to Him that they know what He likes and dislikes, what His voice sounds like, and how He feels about them personally.  The closer they abide with Him, the more they will know and love Him, and experience this wonderful eternal life that He has for them.

Knowing Him intimately, is the best part of life!


Lord, as I pray for our children's salvation today, I am reminded that an intimacy with you is one of the greatest blessings we receive when we accept you as our personal Savior.  Salvation allows us to live with you, and get to know you in an intimate and personal way.  Lord, I long for our children to know you, love you, and live with you every day of their lives.  I pray that Your Spirit infuses their heart, mind and soul, causing them to live in your peace, joy, and hope.  Lord, move them to hunger and thirst after you.  As they investigate who you are, may they find you in beautiful ways.  Thank you, Lord, that you made a way for your children to live with you forever, and forever can begin here on earth.

No comments: