Friday, June 25, 2010

God our Defender

Please note:  This is a repost from September 2009.  Today is the last day of VBS, and though I thought I was ahead of the game and would have time to write a blog, I don't.  It's 3:00 a.m, and I have yet to get to bed. HA!  I would covet your prayers for the new day that will begin just around the corner!  Along with VBS, Kyle has two games I can't attend, so I thought this post would be perfect for today.

Winners of last week's tournament...Kyle 2nd from the right on bottom

"When they cry out to the LORD because of their oppressors, he will send them a savior and defender, and he will rescue them." Isaiah 19:20

This summer God reminded me that He is our Defender in a real way, and I was able to teach my son an amazing lesson about God. Kyle was on a baseball team this summer, with a new coach, and as the summer went on, and more and more games were played, I watched my son become discouraged by his lack of playing time. He would walk away from a game with his shoulders slumped, and his mood saddened, not understanding why his coach wasn't using him to the best of his potential. Each game he would arrive with hope, and leave with disappointment.

One day, God gave me a word, as I pleaded with Him to intervene. He said to me, "I am Kyle's defender." Even a song started flowing through my mind...

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord.
We will wait upon the Lord.

Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliver
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary.

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need.
You lift us up on wings like eagles.

("Everlasting God" by Chris Tomlin)

I began praying through Isaiah 19:20, and entrusting that God would surely be Kyle's defender in this situation. I even shared with Kyle the word God gave me. And, guess what! He was!!! The next game, Kyle played the entire game, and at his usual position. God was faithful! The "problem" still shows its head periodically, but each time I am reminded that God will be Kyle's defender.

God will be my kids protector and healer, and He will always champion for their souls. He can do the job so much better than I!

Lord, I come to you and pray that you will show yourself to be our kids "defender". Fight for them, against the evil one who wants to draw them away from You, and keep them living their lives for You. Protect them when they are put in situations where they have to choose right from wrong. Keep their mind steadfast in You and help them to always stand firm in their faith. May you, Lord, always be their Savior.

No comments: