Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stepping Up to the Plate

"Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident."  Psalm 27:3

 Kyle at the plate...June 2010

Kyle is on a 13 year-old All-Star team this summer, and with it comes weekends full of baseball games.  The tournaments give us anywhere from 3-5 games in a weekend depending on how the team does.  This weekend we played 5 games in all, ending up in second place.  Not a bad finish, though there was a bit of disappointment that we didn't win the championship. 

In the final game for the championship, the team came into the final inning down 1-5.  First batter got out.  Second batter got out.  Third and fourth batter walked.  Then Kyle got up.  I always start to stress when he gets up to the plate with such pressure.  Three balls and one strike later he hits the ball for a single!  Yeah, son! Unfortunately, the next batter got out and we lost the game.

After the game, I asked Kyle if he gets nervous when he steps up to the plate, when the pressure is on...two outs on the board, and the game on the line.  Because I'll tell you what, his mom gets nervous.  His answer was, "No. Why?"

I like the fact that Kyle doesn't get panicked in intense situations like that.  What a gift he has to be confident and at peace, no matter the outcome.  Soon he will face job interviews, asking a girl on a date, learning to drive, and situations that may cause a little more anxiety than a ball game.  I am praying that "stepping up to the plate" in those situations will be faced with courage, confidence, and control, and result in a huge "hit"!

"The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure."  --Sven Goran Eriksson

Lord, you have wonderfully created our children, with gifts, talents and purpose.  I watch with wonder and excitement, each time I see them blossom in an area I have never seen before.  I pray that they never settle for less than you have purposed for their lives.  Instill in their hearts and minds a confidence that they can do anything they set their mind too, or anything you ask them to do.  When fear, anxiety, or nervousness begins to overtake them, may Alyssa and Kyle look to you for strength and courage.  Lord, I believe that they can do anything, with you by their side, strengthening them.  May their confidence always come from you, their one and only God.

No comments: