Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tis the Season for Celebrating!

"Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them."  Nehemiah 8:12


Our week has been full of highs and lows, yet celebrating the season has been a constant undercurrent. 
  • As we sat in shock and grief watching the scene unfold in Newtown, Conneticut last Friday, we were celebrating the arrival of our college student home for her first break since school started in August. What a delight it is to have all four of us under one roof for the holidays. 
  • Our annual Christmas Open House is a lot of work and takes hours of baking and cleaning, but it's so worth the time and effort as I look around my house and enjoy the laughter and conversations of my church family.  I am reminded that God has truly blessed us with a precious church family and dear friends who support us in so many ways. 
  • One of my favorite parts of each day, around this Christmas season, is walking to the mailbox and finding so much "happy mail" and reading about everyone's year.  Another reminder to be thankful for the people God has placed in our lives.
My heart has been heavy watching the news, knowing some of my friends are struggling, living without a car because it's in the shop, and the busyness of so much to do, BUT remembering the reason for this season, and understanding the amazing gift God has given us of His Son far outweigh all that and gives us me cause to celebrate and be thankful today!!

Lord, thank you for the many reasons I have to celebrate!  My heart is full of thanksgiving this season!  In spite of the darkness of this world I still can see your light shining.  I pray that our dear children can see you despite the hard things around them, and understand the hope, the truth, and the light you offer them and hold onto the precious gift of your Son!  Thank you, dear Father, for the many reasons to celebrate today!

 

No comments: