Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Even Drudgery

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness..."  1 Peter 1:5



I have a pet peeve.  I hate to say it, but I cringe whenever my kids say "That doesn't sound like fun" or "That's boring."  There are things in life that seem like drudgery, yet we still need to do them.  Life isn't all about fun and games.   

There's bathrooms to clean,
Homework to do,
Dinner to make,
and meetings to attend...

I love this quote from Oswald Chambers,
Drudgery is the test of genuine character. The greatest hindrance in our spiritual life is that we will only look for big things to do. Yet, “Jesus . . . took a towel and . . . began to wash the disciples’ feet . . .” (John 13:3-5).
Choosing to do things that are good and right, even if they are boring, hard, or uncool, builds character and opens the door to God's blessing and activity in our lives. 
"I must realize that my obedience even in the smallest detail of life has all of the omnipotent power of the grace of God behind it. If I will do my duty, not for duty’s sake but because I believe God is engineering my circumstances, then at the very point of my obedience all of the magnificent grace of God is mine through the glorious atonement by the Cross of Christ."  Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest"
I'm praying that my children's lives are marked by obedience, even when it seems like drudgery, because who knows what God will do in them, or through them.

Lord, your grace is so amazing!  What an amazing thought that you can use every detail of our lives...even the little, mundane, and seemingly insignificant...to change us in the inside, draw us closer to you, or make a difference in someone else's life.  Father, help Alyssa and Kyle to choose to be obedient even in the things in life that seem to be drudgery and insignificant.  Out of their obedience, Lord, show them yourself.  Living in faith, means that sometime we don't know the "why" behind the things you ask of us, but we still choose to follow you wherever you lead.  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle's faith is so huge, that they will always choose to be obedient to the calling you issue on their lives.  Build their character in such a way that immediately respond, move their feet to go where you send them, and use their hands to work for you.  May your magnificent grace be our children's through the glorious atonement by the Cross of Christ.
 

No comments: