Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pride Isn't Pretty

"It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory."  Proverbs 25:27 (ESV)

 Champions, Kyle (left) and his friend Jake (2005)


I have a pretty humble kid. Or at least he is around me.  Even when I see Kyle excel in baseball, make an awesome play, or get picked for a special team, I don't hear him brag about his accomplishments.  I like that about my boy.


I remember the "jocks" when I was in high school, and they were filled with pride and haughtiness, often overlooking those kids that didn't have the same abilities or hung in the same crowds.  As one boasts about themselves, and puts on heirs that they are better than everyone else, it turns people off and actually diminishes one's likeability.  Pride isn't pretty.

As Kyle begins his high school baseball career, I pray that he continues to shine bright, and remain my sweet and humble boy.  


Lord, your Word reminds us that it is not glorious to seek one's one glory.  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle live with a confidence that you have fearfully and wonderfully made them.  Yet in their successes, and when they find joy in using the gifts that you have given them, I pray that they keep their pride in check.  Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  It can become so easy to boast in our gifts, and shift people's focus away from You and onto ourselves, failing to give you all the credit for our hand in our lives.  Lord, I pray that Alyssa and Kyle's lives will be marked by humility and grace, always living their lives for your glory!

 

No comments: