Monday, June 25, 2012

Immediate Obedience

"Noah did everything just as God commanded him."  Genesis 6:22 


When you're hanging out with kids it doesn't take long before you see or hear them disobey or ignore their parents. Even my own at 18 and 15.  It can be so exasperating.  I wonder if God ever finds His children disobedient?  Somehow, failing to listen to directions, or going where told, comes pretty naturally to kids.  It's not even something we have to teach.  


In fact, as parents we need to be better at teaching our kids to be obedient.  Sometimes those are hard lessons.  I'll tell you what, it's better to do it sooner than later.  


I've always been struck with this quote:
"Delayed obedience is still disobedience".  


There should be no waiting for the count to three.  Let's be children who obey the first time!  
And every time!


Lord, thank you for the example of Noah.  May we be like him and do everything you command us to.  I also pray that Alyssa and Kyle are obedient to the things you ask of them, and even obedient to those over them here on earth.  Please help them to be respectful of laws, followers of your commands, and obedient to those in authority.  Obedience, Lord, sometimes feels like the surrender of our rights and an inhibitor to our wants and desires, but I pray that Alyssa and Kyle choose not to look to their own interest, but to the interest of others.  I pray that our kids find obedience worth the effort, and I pray that I can be a parent who calls them to a higher standard of doing what is asked for.  Lord, take our human hearts, that are often selfish, lazy, and ignorant, and make them more like your servant heart. 

 

No comments: