Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Walking Partner

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."  Isaiah 43:2


Yesterday my boys went on a walk with me.  What a delight.  Of course, my teenage son only went willingly as long as we stopped at the nearby elementary school in order to shoot some hoops.  As we arrived to his old childhood haunt, we were all flooded with memories. 

Monkey bars and blisters.  Back then Kyle needed to use a step to reach the "high" bar, but now can reach it standing flat footed.  My boy has grown.

And then there was "pacers".  Every Friday the kids would walk a quarter mile path around the school and earn a "pacer" every time they crossed the finish line.  Even better, if a parent came and walked "pacers", the child's pacer number was doubled.  If they got so many pacers in a month they'd get a reward.  So, being the competitive, stay-at-home mom I was, I'd go to the school and walk with Kyle.  As a team we were the bomb!

As I reflected on that time long ago, I reveled in the fact that Kyle took great delight in my help.  He always reminded me to show up, and I'd do everything I could to make sure I'd be there.  I always loved the moment where the bell would ring and I'd hand off my pacers into his little hand and he'd flash me a big grin.

I pray that just like then, Kyle (and Alyssa) will always know that I'll be there if at all possible when help is needed.  At the same time, I pray that they know the One who truly walks with them each and every day.


Lord, thank you for the precious memories I hold onto, and the growth and change I see in my children.  It's so hard to believe how fast the time has gone sometimes.  I pray that even as Alyssa and Kyle grow they know they can look to their parents for help. Life cannot be lived without someone to love and encourage them.  I thank you, Lord, that you are the true Helper, and that you walk with us through all of life.  I pray that they know that you lavish love on your children, and that you will never leave them or forsake them.  May they sense You, sweet Father, walking with them today.

No comments: