Friday, May 27, 2011

Quit Complaining!

"And the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, and when the Lord heard it, his anger was kindled..."  Numbers 11:1

As I sat listening to Alyssa and her friends talking about school and their teachers, one of her friends stopped and said, "I need to stop complaining.  It's so easy to do and I don't like it."  I thought "wow" cause that was coming out of a teenagers mouth.

I think I am gifted in complaining too.  It comes much more naturally to me than speaking the positive side of things.  I complain about the weather, other drivers, the messes everyone leaves around the house, the clothes in my closet...the list seems to get longer and longer the more I think about it.

I'm thinking God probably wants to say to me, "Really?  That's all you have to say?  What about all that I've given you?"

As I listened to Alyssa and her friends, I was convicted of my complaining, and reminded to pray that our kids get past their grumbling, whining, and complaining too.  Instead may we focus instead on all the beauty God bestows on us.

Lord, help Alyssa and Kyle focus the attention on the good things of this life, and rid themselves of complaining, whining, and grumbling.  Its so easy to be focused on the down side of life, and commiserate with others through talking about all that is unlovely and wrong.  The pattern of this world is to complain and you long for us to be different.  Instead, I pray that Alyssa and Kyle are transformed by the renewing of their minds, and reflect you in all that they say and do.  Move them to have hearts of thanksgiving, mouths that speak gratitude and pleasure, and eyes that focus on all that is good.  Thank you, precious Father, for all that is good in our lives!  You truly bless your children.


No comments: