Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Enemy of Salvation

“Self-sufficiency is the enemy of salvation. If you are self-sufficient, you have no need of God. If you have no need of God, you do not seek Him. If you do not seek Him, you will not find Him.”
--William Nicholson, Shadowlands
Alyssa's favorite line as a little girl was "I do it!"  Sometimes it drove me bats, especially if I was in a hurry or if she wasn't doing it the way I thought it should be done. And now that my kids are teenagers, they are even more into the self sufficient stage.  They know it all, don't you know?



Strength, courage, and wisdom are important qualities to posses, for sure, but these things can also keep a person from recognizing their need for a Savior. I delight in the ways Alyssa and Kyle are strong and capable, and I love watching them succeed and shine, and yet I still know they have weaknesses and needs that can only be met by meeting Jesus face to face.

"But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul."  Deuteronomy 4:29

Today I am praying that Alyssa and Kyle know their need...
and seek God.

Lord, what a beautiful promise to hold onto!  Knowing that if your children seek you, they will find you!  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle know their need for you, and seek you!  May their heart feel lost and lonely without you, and when they seek you they find complete joy, eternal hope, and every need fulfilled when they accept you as their Savior. For they are truly lost without you, Jesus!  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle know your complete love and find you are all that they need.  Sweet salvation comes only from you!


 

No comments: