Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Flirting with Evil

"Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good."  Romans 12:9 (The Message)

Sunday night, Kyle went to the mall with his friend, and came home with earring studs in his ears.  I tried hard not to flip out until I knew the truth of the situation, assuming that surely he wouldn't pierce his ears without his mother's permission (though, my mother would tell you I did that when I was living at home as well...my only excuse was that I was 18 and my friends made me do it...sorry mom!).  As I tried to grab at Kyle's ears, he flinched and squirmed, so for a brief second I thought he had succumbed to looking like a girl (in my humble opinion).  After some scrutiny, he laughed and showed me that his piercings were just magnets.  

Whew.  My heart could start beating at a normal rate.


Why are the things of this world so attractive?  Music, tattoos, smoking, drinking, sex before marriage, and foul language, fashion, etc.  Sometimes, as a godly mom, it feels like a big battle to fight every day.  My hope is that my kids would "run for dear life from evil, rather than dance around the edge and flirt with things that don't please the Lord.  

Truly, I know and trust that this is a war for the Holy Spirit to win.  I'm just going to stand along the sidelines, cheering on Alyssa and Kyle and getting on my knees in prayer, to hold on for dear life to the good God has for them!

Lord, help Alyssa and Kyle to run for dear life from evil and hold on for dear life to good!  Prod their hearts to seek after the things that you desire, and hold fast to a life that his holy and pleasing to you.  Give Alyssa and Kyle eyes to see life as you see it, and have a heart that is like yours.  May the things of the world leave a bitter taste in their mouth.  Lord, this is my plea.

 +

No comments: