Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sweet Salvation

Today’s Verse: “But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior” Titus 3:4-6

Yesterday I went to a funeral. It was a funeral of a man and wife who died a couple of weeks ago on a motorcycle ride. In the blink of an eye they left behind their daughter, 2 grandchildren, and many other family members and friends. Though this tragedy breaks your heart as you watch this family grieve, there was much celebration at their funeral because they went home to be with their Lord. It reminded me again, not that it is ever far from my mind, that my biggest prayer is that my kids accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and gain the ticket they need for eternal life.

I’m committing to making Saturdays the day I will pray for their continued walk with the Lord.

I remember the first time that both of my kids prayed the salvation prayer. It was about 9 years ago, as I was preparing dinner so we could head out the door for another night of VBS (Lyss would have been 6, and Kyle 4). What a moment that was for me, as their mom, to be able to witness. Sorry Dad that you missed the big event. I’m thankful that God heard their prayer and was faithful to enter their hearts.

But I pray that the decision they made that day be a forever commitment, and may my kids always follow Him with their lives. I pray it’s a faith that becomes their own, and not just because their parents believe it. I pray that my children live their faith “out loud” because their love for God burns within their souls and they can’t help but serve Him.

Salvation, what a precious gift!

Lord, you so loved my precious children, Alyssa and Kyle, that you gave your one and only Son for them, so that if they believe in You, they will not perish but have everlasting life. (Jn. 3:16) What a beautiful gift Lord...a gift that I pray they always believe in, and live out in their lives. If doubts arise in their minds and hearts, I pray Lord that you continue seeking them out, and do so in a way that they can sense you pursuing them and never leaving them. May their hearts remain steadfast in you, and they stand firm in their faith all the days of their lives. I lay my children at your feet, and entrust them to your care today.

No comments: