Monday, September 28, 2009

Praying for a "10"!

Today’s Verse: “This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24

Mondays. Wasn’t it Garfield that always said, “I hate Mondays”?

Mondays are the day we say good-bye to our precious weekend, and head into the week of work and SCHOOL! I’m sure that every Sunday night, one of my kids says something to the effect of hating the idea of getting up in the morning and heading back to school. Early mornings, “boring” classes, and tons of homework each add to their dislike of Mondays.


I love that I found this picture, and it's even better that I found it after I wrote this post. It's Alyssa's first day of 7th grade. I had no recollection of her wearing this shirt, or even owning it...but how perfect is it?!

Alyssa used to tell me that every school day was a BAD day. Due to the fact that she was one who would give me little information about her day, I would ask her “How was your day on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a great day?” And the answer would always land somewhere between a 4 and a 7. She would always come home with awesome grades, but school held little excitement for her and was definitely never considered a “good day”.

School is huge chunk of our kids day, and week, and has a tremendous impact on their love for learning. It broke my heart that school was such a negative thing in my daughter’s life. So, I began praying.

If you were to ask Alyssa about school today, she wouldn’t have this outpouring of excitement for school and what she is learning, but she has a much more positive attitude than she used to have. God answered my prayers. I’ll keep praying that she finds joy in her learning, life-changing relationships with her teachers, friends who encourage her, and even direction as to where God wants her in the future.

I pray that both of my kids fall in love with learning, and that Mondays aren’t so bad after all.

Dear Father, I pray that my kids LOVE this day! I know, Lord, that you love your children and desire that they love the life you have given them. School is a huge part of their life right now, Lord, and I pray that they find joy in this place and time. I pray that learning comes alive to them, and they find excitement and joy in the things they are learning. I pray that they have a sense of You in their learning, and that they can see your hand in history, your part in creation, and your plan for their life as they find things that they are passionate about and will lead them to future careers. May they grow in wisdom as they study, and choose to work hard and think deep. Learning is a gift from you, Lord.

No comments: