Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Running with Perseverance

Today’s Verse: “Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1

My kids have both quit asking me for help on their math homework. Had they asked me 25 years ago, I would have still remembered what I learned in Algebra, but instead my brain has been made to mush. If they were to ask me the simple things, like 8 x 8, I could still do that, but boy they are way beyond me these days. Kyle, in one of my non-helpful moments, when he was in the 5th grade said “I thought you graduated from high school, Mom.” Great.

I am amazed watching my kids do their homework…the problems they are solving, the books they are reading, and the questions they are answering are at times intense. My kids are not only smart, but they have a lot that they are learning and figuring out. Their mom is the type of person that if the problem is too hard to solve, or a project takes to much work, she gives up too easily…or just takes a break, or two, or three. I pray that my kids are different and will be strong in the perseverance department. May they always work hard until they work through their problems…in homework or in life. And may they always strive to do their best.

Perseverance is not for wimps. You go, kids!

Precious Father, thank you for the children you have given me who are “fearfully and wonderfully made”. Their minds are like sponges, and daily they are learning more about your creation, and using the wisdom they are gaining to solve problems, manage life, and live healthy and happy lives. I pray, Lord, that you help them to run this life with perseverance. May they find your strength when they want to give up because something is just too hard. I pray that they persevere in their relationships with others, and that they will always choose to work things out and mend conflicts. I pray that they choose strong careers, following the “race you have marked out” for them, and stay the course even when things get tough. Lord, put your spirit in them that they may sense your strength, believe in your goal, listen and seek your wisdom, and live out their lives with a passion that reflects You.

And P.S. Lord, help their Mom to run the parenting race with perseverance too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tresa,

I enjoyed reading your postings. I could help but think about the growth you have made...awesome!!! As you think your kids surpass you, I think that about you surpassing me. Blessings to you. I love you!
Dad