Thursday, September 24, 2009

Freedom from Fear

Today’s Verse: “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

I was a shy little girl, and in reality that shy little girl still lives in me. God, however, has done a work in me and has stretched me out of my “comfort zone”. I’ve learned to trust Him, and depend on this “spirit of power” that comes from Him.

I pray for that spirit of power in my children’s lives. They both started out shy like their mother. Lyssa’s kindergarten teacher promised me that she would get Lyss to talk to her within the first month of school, but on the last day of school, Mrs. Garner looked at me and said, “Well, I never got her to talk to me, but she’s a very good student.” Oh my. Saying “hi” to adults at church was ever so painful. And I began praying that that God would remove her “spirit of timidity” and replace it with His spirit of power!

I have seen Lyssa stretch herself and is growing into a confident young lady. God is good! Giving speeches at school, feeling free to ask questions and share concerns with her teachers, even going out for the student council knowing she’d have to give a speech for her election. God is instilling in her His power! I love that.

I pray that both my kids continue to grow in their confidence to be who God made them. To stand in front of people and speak their convictions. To face conflict, without being walked on, and without fear. I pray that as they seek God’s direction for the future of their lives, they will follow without trepidation, but go boldly wherever God sends them. And when fear does show its face, may they always look to the One who brings peace, strength, and power.

Dear Precious Father, you are the amazing Creator, the mighty Healer, and you’re in the business of changed lives. Thank you for creating my children in beautiful ways. Thank you for who they are and what they are becoming. Thank you for being a God who doesn’t want his people to live in fear, but wants them to live with power, confident in his love, and at peace in all the circumstances of life. I pray that where my kids have a spirit of fear or timidity, that you replace it with your spirit of power, and of confidence, and a belief that you’ve created them for great things. Where they feel weak, may they look to you for strength. Where there is fear, may they sense your peace. Where they doubt, may the fix their eyes on You and find the answers they need. Lord, fill my kids with You! Mark their lives by your presence! May they always live in your spirit of power!

No comments: