Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Zipping My Lips

"Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it."  1 Peter 3:9 (NLT)


I sometimes have conversations with people, in my head, as I'm getting ready in the morning. Yesterday morning I had a doozie of one and came up with the PERFECT response to someone's gruff comments to me yesterday.  Sometimes I wish I was quicker with my comebacks in person.
 
Then again, maybe it's good that I can't.  My tongue could probably get me in trouble.  Better to stay quiet than say something I'd regret, I'm thinkin'.

"Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble."  Proverbs 21:23

Watching our words, whether in response to someone else's unkind comments, or just in every day conversation, is a spiritual discipline that can take much effort and practice.  I'm praying that Alyssa and Kyle learn to watch their words and be careful to speak with words that build up, encourage, and shine the light of Christ living in them.

Words have great power, for good or evil.  Oh be careful little mouth what you say!

Lord, help Alyssa and Kyle keep their tongues out of trouble.  When there is temptation to repay evil for evil, or retaliate with insults when people insult them, help our children to pay back with blessings instead.  May you be reflected in our words, dear Jesus!

 

No comments: