Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thankful Thursday

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since I haven't blogged in a while, its easy to think of many things to give God thanks for.  However, I'll stick to sharing a few things about this last week.  I'm so blessed by God's intimate presence in our every-day lives.  He is so good...ALL the time!

I'm thankful for a week-long vacation with my family.  We went to the zoo, took a skytram, visited a farmer's market, ate donuts, got majorly wet on a jet boat ride down the Willamette river. and ate clam chowder at the ocean.  We laughed, laughed, and laughed.  God provided fun family moments, safety despite a blown tire on the Portland freeways, and memories that we will hold onto for a long time to come.

 My precious family.

I'm thankful for extended family and God's healing hand.  Ken's mom was in the hospital for a couple of months recently following a stroke and infection.  She was just released to have visitors the day before we arrived for a short visit.  We enjoyed going through pictures, playing card games, and reminiscing family history.  Lyssa especially had some tender moments with Grandma (picture below).  It's hard living far a part so this time was extra special after the trials of the last months.

 Grandpa and Grandma

Grandma and Lyssa
 
While on vacation we found a used pickup.  I'd like to think that God cares about the things that bring us joy, and in the process can provide wisdom to make decision, and even blessing when it comes to finding a good deal.  Of course, our first added expense was four new tires after one of them blew out on the freeway.  I'm thankful for God protecting my boys (especially Kyle as the driver) and bringing them to a safe stop along a highly busy road.  

One added note of thanksgiving.  I haven't been driving for four weeks, due to some eye problems, and over and over again I've been blessed by my kids ability to take me where I needed to go.   Even on the long drives through Oregon Alyssa and Kyle did a great job driving!

 New truck

I'm thankful for the beginning of a new school year.  I have troubles believing that my daughter is beginning her sophomore year in college, and my son his junior year in high school.  Kyle's first day of school was this week and he looks so grown up!

First day of school

I'm also thankful for a mother-daughter day with Lyssa before she leaves for college.  We soaked our feet, went out to lunch, did a little shopping, and she bought me a coffee.  The gift of this time made saying good-bye just a little more bearable.

 Pedicures

Alyssa is not sad to leave home for her sophomore year of college (just sad to say goodbye to our dog).  The thing I like about that is that it shows she loves where she's going, she enjoys the people she knows there, and the classes are just the right thing for her.  How much more difficult it would be to send her off to a place she doesn't like or feel safe in.  Alyssa is confident, excited, and ready for whatever it is God has for her this school year.  You go, girl!

 Lyssa is college bound!

I was sad to see Lyssa drive out yesterday morning, on her grand adventure, but I am trusting God that He holds her and her future.

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."--Emerson

 AMEN!

 

No comments: